Thread: Support responses - please include the URL

davidwwatts is offline New Bee
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Default Support responses - please include the URL

I really appreciate the service and support that WHB offers. It most certainly exceeds my expectations.

One suggestion regarding support tickets. When I first create a ticket, the email I get includes a link to the Web page. However, all subsequent replies to the ticket from staff don't include that link. It would be an added convenience if the emails with replies also included a link back to the support ticket on the Web.

Thanks.
    David.

Matt R. is offline WeeHBie
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

David,

I've moved this to the suggestion forum. It is a great suggestion - I am looking at how we can do this now.
    Matt Russell
    WebHostingBuzz CEO

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mattdrussell

Freak is offline New Bee
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

I mentioned it before in a support ticket, but what's the use of putting my password in that email?

tiolalu Guest

Edit: Sorry, I didn't understand well (fast reading )
    Last edited by tiolalu; 04-18-2007 at 03:36 AM.

Tony is offline Bad Influence
    Servers
    SS3
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Ya, the plain text password is just ...creepy. I don't know if tech support sees that password or if it's only in the automatic email first sent to me.

Either way, it's useless since you have to be logged in anyway to send a ticket. I already know my password; why repeat it back to me in plain text?

Saf M Guest

When you go to whbsupport.com, you would notice that it 100% secure and protected by the SSL so putting your user details in the ticket is completely secure and cannot be read by a third party.

We need such details so that we can immediately log into the client accounts and fix any technical issue at hand. If you are still unsure about this, just put a *-* in the field. Our senior admins can work on accounts without needing such information but this information is particularly useful for level 1 and level 2 staff who are not so technically sound and would rather work with direct information.

In any case, any transmission made through the help desk is 110% secure.

Tony is offline Bad Influence
    Servers
    SS3
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saf M
    We need such details so that we can immediately log into the client accounts and fix any technical issue at hand.
    But that's not the pw I'm talking about. When we file a ticket, we get an immediate email telling us the ticket has been opened. It includes a plain text pw. The first time it was the same pw, but as soon as I saw it I changed my logins, so now the pw it shows isn't going to help you login to my account.

Here's a quote (edited) from a recent ticket:
    Your ticket has been received, one of the staff members will review it and reply accordingly. Listed below are details of this ticket, Please make sure the Ticket ID remains in the subject at all times.

Ticket ID: NRB-234068
    Subject: unable to access website
    Department: Technical Support
    Priority: Normal

You can check the status or reply to this ticket online at: https://www.whbsupport.com/index.php...ticketid=84108
    Email: xxxx@gmail.com
    Password: PlainTextPasswordRepeated

1. Helpdesk Problems
    https://www.whbsupport.com/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=7

Matt R. is offline WeeHBie
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

We have to maintain the balance between those technically save who know their passwords, and those that do not remember their passwords. I'll look at the options though and see what we can do. I do appreciate that there is a small security risk attached.

With that said, we do ask for extra verification for major account changes.
    Matt Russell
    WebHostingBuzz CEO

Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/mattdrussell

JasonD Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Saf M View Post
    When you go to whbsupport.com, you would notice that it 100% secure and protected by the SSL so putting your user details in the ticket is completely secure and cannot be read by a third party.

We need such details so that we can immediately log into the client accounts and fix any technical issue at hand. If you are still unsure about this, just put a *-* in the field. Our senior admins can work on accounts without needing such information but this information is particularly useful for level 1 and level 2 staff who are not so technically sound and would rather work with direct information.

In any case, any transmission made through the help desk is 110% secure.
    I would not give GOD my password. My server information is private and may have others personal information. If you don't know my password, you do not NEED to know it to assist with operations. You should have the ability to see YOUR access to my server, which should only include assistive access to assistance related portions of our sites.

If you, or another employee have our password, you have access to all data on our site. (Which, I assume, is completely encrypted, or you would not need our passwords.)

You don't setup the accounts with a LIMITED access password, available through special access to designated employees? They should not have to "See" the password, only access a database with the matching SHA1 of the password?

EG, If I wanted you to assist me with a problem... I tell you my account, you confirm my account, then you ask your DB for access to my account. Your DB knows my password, but you never see it.
    Last edited by JasonD; 07-18-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Alan B is offline Super Moderator
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt R View Post
    We have to maintain the balance between those technically save who know their passwords, and those that do not remember their passwords.
    Unfortunately that means that even those of us who diligently set strong passwords and remember them must still suffer the risk of compromise when you send them in plain text. Don't increase the risk for diligent clients simply to accommodate sloppier clients who forget their passwords.

willewen is offline New Bee
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

I can see where everyone here is coming from also. Furthermore, i tend to use one password for multiple accounts (never more than 2) yet use a unique method of remembering them. I was hoping to utilise some of the space on my server for my scanned bank statements in order to secure a digital back-up. Now i'm not so sure :-/.

HelenMoreland is offline New Bee
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

This is very sad news to the fans of Jonathan Demme who has given us very beautiful movies throughout his career as director and also won Oscar to his name. I searched essay service blog to read is autobiography which has helped me to know more personal details of him and an interview what he has given after winning Oscar.