puterfixer is offline New Bee
    Servers
    Former customer
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Question Enable SPF Sender Policy Framework record type for DNS

Hi guys,

First of all - thank you for the flawless hosting I've had zero incidents ever since I signed up, and the fact that I have registered on the forums only now should testify to that.

I need your help in fully enabling Sender Policy Framework as an additional aid in blocking spam. These supplemental DNS records extend the mail sending protocol by enforcing some rules on who can send e-mails for a particular domain.

RFC 4408 defines both TXT and SPF entries for this purpose, after a controversy related to the use of TXT records for this purpose. But the trouble is that CPanel currently allows me to manage only A, CNAME and TXT record types in the Advanced DNS Zone Editor.

Can you please add SPF to this list?

My two .ro (Romania) domains have been under a heavy spam attack for a few weeks now, generating between 600 and 1000 e-mails per day, spoofing the sender as being from my own domain. Despite my efforts with SpamAssassin and client filters, I'm still not keeping up. I have just added the TXT records for the domains, but I can't add identical SPF records.

Thanks in advance!

For reference: SPF on Wikipedia, and the Open SPF Project.

PS: I know there is a separate setting Email Authentication where I can enable Domain Keys and SPF. However, there are two limitations to this setting:
    1) It sets the same options for ALL hosted domains - any custom setting must be maintained manually directly in the DNS record for a specific domain;
    2) It only uses the TXT record and doesn't use the SPF record at all.
    Last edited by puterfixer; 12-18-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Vitaliy K. is offline WeeHBie
    Servers
    localhost
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Just submit a ticket to Technical Support at our Helpdesk and our technical team will add the necessary SPF record for your domain.
    Vitalij K.
    Level 2 Technical Team Leader
    WebHostingBuzz.com

Help WebHostingBuzz today. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter or Google +1 us.
    Visit http://www.webhostingbuzz.com and look for the social media icons at the top of the page.

Servers
    Former customer
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Hi Vitaliy,

No problem, thanks for the reply. Ideally I should be able to maintain this myself, so that I don't need to stress you guys every time I have to make some adjustments to the list of allowed IPs, for instance.

This feature is just a "nice to have", to have FULL compliance with the RFC. At this time, with the proper SPF directive maintained in the TXT records for each domain and subdomain, plus a SpamAssassin rule to discard mail with more than 5 points, I am back to maybe a dozen spam e-mails per day, for 13 domains. I don't want to jinx it, but this isn't bad at all

Thanks again!

tobey_maguire is offline New Bee
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by puterfixer View Post
    Hi guys,

First of all - thank you for the flawless hosting I've had zero incidents ever since I signed up, and the fact that I have registered on the forums only now should testify to that.

I need your help in fully enabling Sender Policy Framework as an additional aid in blocking spam. These supplemental DNS records extend the mail sending protocol by enforcing some rules on who can send e-mails for a particular domain.

RFC 4408 defines both TXT and SPF entries for this purpose, after a controversy related to the use of TXT records for this purpose. But the trouble is that CPanel currently allows me to manage only A, CNAME and TXT record types in the Advanced DNS Zone Editor.

Can you please add SPF to this list?

My two .ro (Romania) domains have been under a heavy spam attack for a few weeks now, generating between 600 and 1000 e-mails per day, spoofing the sender as being from my own domain. Despite my efforts with SpamAssassin and client filters, I'm still not keeping up. I have just added the TXT records for the domains, but I can't add identical SPF records.

Thanks in advance!

For reference: SPF on Wikipedia, and the Open SPF Project.

PS: I know there is a separate setting Email Authentication where I can enable Domain Keys and SPF. However, there are two limitations to this setting:
    1) It sets the same options for ALL hosted domains - any custom setting must be maintained manually directly in the DNS record for a specific domain;
    2) It only uses the TXT record and doesn't use the SPF record at all.

I need complete information regarding this issue ...!!!
    please breifly explain this matter...!!!
    so that I also can b able to solve these kind of issues...!!!
    Last edited by tobey_maguire; 06-01-2013 at 12:02 AM.
    tobey_maguire

Servers
    Former customer
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

There are two links for your reference in the original text I posted. Have you read those first?

sosad is offline New Bee
    Servers
    aaaaaaaaaaaaa
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

This feature is just a "nice to have", to have FULL compliance with the RFC. At this time, with the proper SPF directive maintained in the TXT records for each domain and subdomain, plus a SpamAssassin rule to discard mail with more than 5 points, I am back to maybe a dozen spam e-mails per day, for 13 domains. I don't want to jinx it, but this isn't bad at all
    Last edited by Nazar H.; 08-25-2015 at 04:41 AM.

owlowl157 is offline New Bee
    WHB Points this Month
    WHB Points
    Thanks

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it
    Last edited by owlowl157; 05-10-2017 at 06:37 PM.